Get cooking this year with new noncredit culinary classes offered from 6:30 to 9 p.m. beginning in Feb. by McHenry County College’s Continuing Education Department. A wide variety of one-day classes include Cupcake Workshop, Super Simple Soups, Latin Cuisine, Pastries and Valentine’s Day Treat Box for kids and adults.
Supporting the College’s ongoing commitment to collaboration, classes are taught by chefs from the Confetti Gourmet Academy, located at the Dole Mansion at Lakeside Legacy Arts Park, 401 Country Club Road, in Crystal Lake.
“Culinary skills and cooking classes continue to be very popular through the Continuing Education Department at MCC,” said Dori Sullens, director of Continuing Education.
“Students can enjoy learning a new skill while having fun, being creative and connecting with other people in the community. Also, these classes are wonderful experiences that a family can take together for some real family fun.”
“The location of these classes at Lakeside Legacy Arts Park is an excellent example of MCC’s commitment to working with community partners,” Sullens said.
The following classes are available:
• Knife Skills: Learn about the different varieties and how to care for your kitchen knives, including sharpening, honing, cleaning and storing. Participants will learn the proper handling and practice the most useful cuts and techniques using herbs and vegetables. Plus, a demo on cleaning and slicing fruits is included. Class takes place on Tuesday, Feb. 5. Use course ID: NCU S33 002.
• Latin Cuisine: Enjoy the flavors of Mexico and learn the essential preparation techniques of grilling, sautéing, pan frying, along with custard and pilaf methods. The menu includes tomatillo salsa and tortilla chips, ranch style beans, Spanish rice, fish tacos and flan. Class takes place on Friday, Feb. 8. Use course ID: NCU S82 002.
• Chicken Basics: Break out of your boring chicken routine. A professional chef will teach you essential chicken preparation techniques such as flattening, stuffing, rolling, baking and pilaf methods. The menu includes house salad, pinwheel chicken with spinach, goat cheese with butter tomato sauce, Italian green beans, classic rice pilaf and a gourmet cookie. Class takes place on Saturday, Feb. 9. Use course ID: NCU S11 002.
• Valentine’s Day Treat Box–Adult and Child: Parent and child teams will create a Valentine’s Day treat box to take home. Activities include cookie decorating, cupcake decorating and making brownie hearts. Course fee is for one adult and child. Class takes place on Tuesday, Feb. 12. Use course ID: NCU S73 002.
• Morning Meals: Start your morning off right or end your day with delight with these delicious and comforting recipes. From a savory skillet to sweet French toast, you’ll learn essential preparation techniques: The menu includes breakfast skillet, cheesy hash browns, biscuits and gravy, plus French toast with apple compote. Class takes place on Friday, Feb. 15. Use course ID: NCU S83 002.
• Cupcake Workshop: Our professional pastry chef will show you how to create gourmet cupcakes, and then demonstrate the art of sophisticated decoration. The menu includes red velvet cupcake, lemon cupcake, rainbow cupcake and the classic chocolate cupcake. Class takes place on Tuesday, Feb. 19. Use course ID: NCU S53 002.
Semi-Homemade: Learn how to make a dish using convenient store purchased ingredients to create a tasty and fast meal including salad and dessert. The menu includes house salad, white rice, spinach and chicken casserole and chocolate cherry cake. Class takes place on Saturday, Feb. 23. Use course ID: NCU S84 002.
• Pastry Class: Create gourmet mini cakes and learn the art of sophisticated pastry decoration. Participants will enjoy German chocolate cake, red velvet cake, classic chocolate cake and raspberry-pistachio brown butter cake. Class takes place on Tuesday, Feb. 26. Use course ID: NCU S67 002.
• Classes in March will feature Super Simple Soups, Indoor Smoking and Roasting, Gluten-Free Cooking, Pot Pies, Ladies Night, March Madness “Warning: Men Cooking” and Pastry Class-Tarts.
Cost is $65 per class. To register, call (815) 455-8588 and use the course ID number when registering. For more information, call (815) 455-8758.